DIY Upholstered Headboard

I have to say, I had a great weekend. After having such a busy month, I really enjoyed the chance to just stay at home and not have plans. This somehow translated into doing some decorating projects. I relax best by cleaning/making things, and lately I’ve been in a MAJOR redecorating phase.

I suppose it’s been a long time coming – I like to DIY whenever I can, and make sure I’ve considered all my options before I commit to anything. This results in bursts of activity punctuated by long periods of planning. Since I’ve been working in my office full time, I’ve been thinking a lot more about how to best use that space, which has resulted in an impromptu let’s move all the things around party, as well as the purchase of some of those flat pack bookshelves, and some fabric bins that were completely the wrong size, unfortunately.

I also spent an embarrassing amount of time this weekend moving pictures around, trying to obey the rule in this blog post and being completely inspired by this office redesign (I may have said to David, “I know I told you an all white office was the way to go…. but what if we painted a wall seafoam?” I am the worlds biggest waffler).

The most exciting part of my weekend was when I built a headboard! For my bed! Like an adult! Okay, actually my mom came over and helped (by helped I mean she did most of the work while I danced around squealing about how great it was going to look)  because she’s the one with all of the expertise and the sweet power tools, but it was totally my idea, and I definitely found the how-to blog post.

I’ve wanted a headboard like this one ever since I saw Betty Draper’s but I knew that it would be way easier and cheaper to make my own. It was definitely cheaper, and it didn’t take as long as I thought to actually make it, maybe 2 hours. The total cost of the headboard came out to almost exactly $100, which is far cheaper than anything I could find in a store that I liked. The biggest money-saving trick I used was to buy a canvas dropcloth from Home Depot for the fabric. It was $20 and twice the amount of fabric we actually needed, which means that I now have some left over for pillows. I was worried it might look too cheap, but I’m actually so pleased with how it turned out. It looks very fancy, and way more expensive than it actually was.

We basically followed the steps listed in the blog post I linked to above, and I think it looks great. It makes our room look one thousand times more polished, and all I have to do now is figure out how to arrange the pillows on the bed so they don’t look weird with the headboard. This is harder than you might think.

The best part about this weekend is that I feel like I’m essentially re-training my creative muscles. I’ve felt blocked for the past couple of months, and with each day that goes by I am getting more and more ideas, and my creative energy is growing. Sometimes I think the best thing you can do is stop trying to force things, and just follow what you’re feeling for a little bit.

My next big home project is my office. It’s been slowly evolving, as I try to figure out ways for it to be as functional as is possible for an 8 x 10 foot space shared by two people and a dog to be. I can’t wait to show you pictures!